Clients From Hell: It's No Good Invalidating Some of the Users' Stories
While some stories on the Clients From Hell website sound condescending many are sad. It's wouldn't be fair if these sad stories were wished away as simply "it's the creative who is in the wrong" scenarios.
Feeling you are the only creative (web designer/web developer/graphic designer/logo designer) going through a period with a client from Hell? You are not alone. There is a site where creatives can post anonymously their clients-from-hell stories: Clients From Hell. It's a site mixed with the funny, sad to the gory tales of how clients can treat creatives.
However, there are some stories that come off as condescending and I do agree with some web designers who feel the site may be going bad. But we cannot invalidate the genuine stories of clients-from-hell posted on the site (and they make up most of the stories). Check this:
- Client wants project done but disappears before sending content. Client comes backs later - after numerous follow-ups from the creative - with accussations that their time has been wasted.
- Clients asking for "family discounts"
- Clients using the work without even paying for it thus infringing on the IP of the creator/creative
- Clients using creatives work without fully paying for it
- Clients demanding for extra work but refusing to pay for it
- Clients requesting for work to be done. Work is done but client discards it later without paying for it etc.
The common thread in all these stories is Injustice; the client commits an offence that damages the creatives situation somehow or is unfair to the creative in some way. This is a serious thing that cannot be dismissed.
Otherwise, if you are a creative dig into the site and see what trials others going through.